Natasha still weighs 5lbs 4.1ozs, and that's the last time we're going to know her weight so exactly because we don't have a baby scale at home, which is where she is!!!This is the monitor she's been hooked up to for 3 weeks. Notice the blank screen? That's because it's off! She's totally disconnected.
Things went remarkably smoothly at the hospital today. When I talked to the nurse this morning the doctor had already been by and was working on the discharge papers, and the nurse called a couple times to nag the doctor to get the papers finished.
By the time we got there all that was left to do was give Natasha her bath, get her dressed and go home!
This is mommy's first bath. I have to say, it went much better than the one the nurse gave her, and much better than I expected.
The water was warmer and it was a bigger tub so she wasn't laying naked on a table getting washed then dunked in a bucket, so I think the whole thing was a little more comfortable for her.
I wouldn't go so far as saying she enjoyed it, but she really didn't seem to mind. I need to work on holding her in one spot by the back of her head, which was a little hard to get used to so she kept working her way across the tub.
Then we got her all dried off and dressed in some outside clothes (hurray!) and it was time for a last lunch in the NICU.
While she was eating we went over all the last details and instruction with the nurse, then signed some papers and it was time to get Natasha in her car seat.
Security is very tight when it comes to babies at the hospital. Our wristbands were checked against Natasha's anklet, our other wristbands were cut off so we couldn't get back in the NICU without signing in with security, and the nurse had to carry Natasha out. Any non-hospital baby team staff carrying an infant is stopped on the way out of the hospital.
We got the car seat figured out, Natasha hooked in, and off we went. As I told the resident when I gave her a hug goodbye, I hope to not see any of them until the xmas party. I will be very happy to not be back at the hospital in the morning.
And look what we came home to! Dan schemed with the fairy godmothers to have a little welcome wagon waiting for us at home. None of the shower decorations went to waste ;)
My parents are in town and were very happy to finally get to hold their granddaughter (which they're happily doing now, as I write this)
This is Natasha's room, just waiting for her to come home.
Yes, that is a pretty princess chandelier.. it's offset nicely by the Nightmare before xmas night light I think :)
The room isn't very big, but then neither is Natasha. By the time she's outgrown it we should have a brand new bedroom built for her upstairs.
Our cat Henrietta came to investigate what was hogging all our attention. Her little squeals sound a lot like Natasha's, so I'm expecting the 2 of them to be able to communicate well. Then I'm expecting Natasha to learn English and tell us what Henrietta is always talking about!
Natasha had a lot of excitement today and is adjusting very well to her new (quieter, darker, calmer) surroundings
And (in case I haven't mentioned this), we are SO happy to have her home.
The Chronicles of Natasha will be continuing, but they will probably not be updated every day as I expect us to (finally, happily) have less time in the evening.
We want to thank everyone for the encouragement and love we've been showered with for the last 3 weeks. We're so lucky that Natasha will have all of you in her life.

Yey, Natasha! Uncle Joel, Cousin Ben and I are so happy that you are home. I sure hope that your life becomes at least a little less exciting than the first few weeks of it were! What great family pictures -- happy parents and grandparents. And now for the very first time ever, I can sign myself, Aunt Carolyn :)
ReplyDeleteI am so happy she is home. I can't wait to come over and meet her!
ReplyDeleteGlad you are finally home Natasha -- and so happy we were able to be there for it. Can't wait to see you and hold you again. Hope your parents can get some rest.
ReplyDeleteLove to you and your parents,
Grandma
happy to hear your all home! now onto the next chapter( that does not involve hospitals.
ReplyDeletexo
~S
Yay!!!
ReplyDeleteTamar
Yay!!! You made it! I am so happy for you all. I have been reading your blog religiously and cant getyou guys out of my mind. Congratulations!
ReplyDeletemuch love to you,
Mia and Tom, Big Natasha and, Calliope, too
Allistair already says "Baby Natasha" like she's a friend of his. We're all looking forward to finally meeting her! :D
ReplyDeleteGo, Natasha, go!!
ReplyDelete